Friday, June 13, 2008

Withdrawal Symptoms


I have had my 2 kids in my school for 21 years. When I moved here, my daughter was 3 years old. She started in the preschool right away. I normally teach students for 3 years, grades 1-3, but we held her back due to her disability, so I personally taught her for 5. She was in the school for 13 years in the end before moving to high school in town. The year after she left, our son joined the school as a kindergartner, so I have always had one of my kids in my school.

He just graduated last night from 8th grade. That will make next year my first without my own children in my work day. I’m glad he managed to graduate. Happy to see him move on to the next phase of his education. Hoping he makes it all the way to high school graduation. But I will miss him. I missed my daughter, but had my son to distract me from missing her. No such luck this time.

I know other teachers don’t have such a personal stake in their work, but it’s all I’ve ever known. I’m sad. Who could possibly offer advice? My situation isn’t like anyone else’s that I can think of.

I know, I will borrow, steal, or adopt another one. That’s it, what a brilliant solution! ( I know, get over it already)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello Sunny! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog...so nice to become part of your life.

Wish I had some words of wisdom for you about your children leaving your "school nest". But it is a wonderful thing that they are able to move on in their lives and they will continue to share what goes on because you have forged an amazing, close relationship with them. It's a time when loss and gain are warring with sadness and joy. I think (in my limited experience ~ my one daughter is 13) that this ia one of the hardest parental paths to travel.

You know about the MS spoon theory, I'm sure (?) Well, I'm sending an extra spoon for strength.

Take care.

Elizabeth

Mark G. said...

Hi ya Sunny,

I love your Emerson quote, and the colorful nature of your blog posts, even while dealing with life's difficulties. Your name is so appropriate.

Keep on shining.
M.