Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Gifts

At the holidays, it is easy to appreciate the exciting ‘it’s just what I wanted’ gifts. I remember getting warm flannel pajamas every year from my grandmother. I always said thank you, but you know I wanted the exciting gifts. It was always later, in the dead of winter in Minnesota, on cold nights, that I really came to appreciate the gift of the humble pajamas.

I think through my life, the best gifts have been like those pajamas. Gifts not valued when received; their true value to be revealed later.

My daughter was born with multiple disabilities. When we got used to the tragedy of that, we have since come to see her value. I have learned so much from her openness and her kind nature. I had only valued the high achievers of the world and expected the same from her and my students. Now I know better. Knowing her has made me a better person and teacher to my students.

When I was diagnosed with MS at 29, I thought my life was ruined forever. I have since come to value what is really important. My family, personal interests. I have learned how to properly prioritize my life. I used to put my job first. I can hardly believe that anymore.

So, all this leads me to tell you why I want to be called Sunny here. Amid all the hard times, I cope by keeping my face up and not giving up. It is my secret weapon. And I work hard to appreciate the gifts that I do receive, even if I don’t recognize them at first.

1 comment:

colie.doll said...

that was probably what i needed to read right about then.

thank you.

colie.doll.