Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Best Free Advice

Sidebar: I wrote this piece then decided not to post it. It sounded preachy to me. But then I thought that it might have some merit. So, anyway, make what you will of it. I really don't know nothin. You'll have to tell me how full of shit I am or on the money. Sunny



Marry your best friend.

That’s it. We have survived and perhaps even thrived through thick and thin. We don’t stay together for the kids, the money, the house, even the insurance. We try to laugh every day and have fun together. This is not always easy.

Our daughter was born with a major disability. A high percentage of marriages end after such a traumatic experience. We got closer.

I was diagnosed with MS at 29 years old. We stayed together. I have been hospitalized several times with exacerbations. I now have a walker to use at times and many impairments. We are still together.

I have aged in unpleasant ways. He looks better with age and ‘they’ tell him so. Still we go on together.

I think the passion and excitement of a new relationship fades over time. Looks fade. Our big deals from our youth become less important. But if you are with someone you like to spend time with, that you share interests with, it will get you through the bad times. Mossy reminds me when I feel bad about my shortcomings as a spouse that I didn’t choose MS. But he and I chose each other. Our friendship has grown over the years. I rarely tire of spending time with him.

I find it interesting when people say about their own relationships, “Oh, we’re just friends.” I know better. That is the kind of relationship to build a marriage on.

2 comments:

Char / Stitchary! said...

This was a wonderful post and you have it so right. The friendship my husband and I have rediscovered and do so each day is more important than I can express. I didn't bargain for MS and neither did he, but we carried on and found so much more.

Mima said...

It sounds like a wonderful marriage, and you are so lucky. I have never met the right man, and now being bed-bound, never will, and your marriage sounds like something that I would love to have in my life.

I have been thinking a lot about the closeness of marriage because of my Grampa, and wondering how my Grandma will be able to get on without him - it will be very hard on her.