Monday, June 30, 2008

Not Your Typical Love Story, part 2

Wedded Bliss, again and again and again…

I’ve been married 3 times. Each time with the same Ol’ Mossy.

My parents divorced when I was 16, leaving me disillusioned about marriage. I swore I would never get married. Famous last words.

When I was but 19, I met and eventually fell in love with the young, less-mossy Forest. I had dropped out of college and was working in a warehouse. Mossy was transferred to the warehouse where I worked. At first he was grumpy having me train him on the job (good training ground for marriage!) We built a strong friendship and love in our first months working together. He had always said he wanted to hitch hike up and down the coast for a summer. He said no one ever thought he should do it. Then along came Sunny. I told him he should if he wanted to. So, as we were making this relationship, in June, he up and leaves. No promise when, or even if, to return.

My sister was having a big wedding in September. Right before the wedding, Mossy called from Olympia. He was out of money and unsure of where to go next. I said I would love it if he could come to my sister’s wedding and I would come get him. He said yes. I drove in my red Beetle all the way over and we drove straight back, talking all the way. When we were nearly to my house, he said, “So let’s do it.” I said, “Do what?” He replied, “Get married.” I said, “Okay.” After that long journey home, I knew he was my soul mate.

And that was that. My birthday was in 3 days. I had expected a disappointing 20th birthday. All the family would be gone following the wedding of my sister. So, I hatched the plan to get married on my birthday. A wedding in 3 days- and I wasn’t even pregnant.

You can imagine the excitement of our families (insert strong smell of irony). My mom didn’t come. She thought I was just jealous of my sister’s fancy wedding. We got married by a judge with Mossy’s sister and my brother standing up with us. I think my in-laws and Dad and his new wife may have been there. We don’t have many pictures of the day. The next day after the wedding, I returned to college and started my education in earnest. We knew the point of getting married was the marriage and not the wedding.

But there was a spot in me over time that grew with regret for not making memorable that day in any way. So, we planned a wedding in our yard for our 20th anniversary (also my 40th birthday (Good planning! Accident, actually. Does Mossy ever forget my birthday or our anniversary? No.) So when 45/ 25 years rolled around, we did it again, this time in Vegas with a fake Elvis. (That one was for the fun) I will be 50 next year. What will we do next??????























Feel free to submit suggestions in the suggestion box.

2 comments:

Char / Stitchary! said...

I love these stories. Every time I read your blog it brightens my day. Thanks!

Mike said...

Tell Michael I think he looks like a pirate more than Elvis in the photo of you two with Elvis. Great to see all of you on Monday! Love ya muchly, Mike