Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Miracles



After my daughter was born with multiple disabilities and no one could explain, we were unsure about having more children. When things were going well, we would think that maybe, we would take the chance. When things went badly, we were sure we didn’t want to take any more chances.

So we waffled back and forth until she was 8 or 9. At that point we started looking into adoption through the state foster-adopt system. We respite fostered several kids and found they were so abused before the state stepped in that they were a danger to Genny. We started researching foreign adoptions.

Many people knew we were looking, so when a coworker of Mossy heard about a baby boy that needed a home, she told us. She said there were 2 other interested families in line first. We discussed it and decided if he was available, we would take him, even though it seemed unlikely. This was late August.

So, Mossy and Genny went to visit his sister for Labor Day weekend. I stayed home to prep for the start of the school year. While he was gone, I got a call. The man on the phone identified himself as the child’s grandfather. He said, “You want to come get him?” He was very concerned that I know the baby was not retarded, just slow because he had spent too much time in a playpen. I assured him we didn’t care if he was disabled. This little boy needed us. I got an address and prepared to go. I tried to call Mossy, but they were out and about, so I left a message. I realized I had no car seat so made call until I located one to borrow. As I was driving, it hit me; our lives would never be the same.

I drove to the town where the baby was. The grandparents had the tiniest house, not even room for the portable playpen they were using for a crib. They said the child’s mother was a teen parent. She had tried to raise him on her own, as the father denied paternity and was still a minor. She had decided to join the navy and gave the baby to her father to find a home for him.

They promptly handed me the baby. He was 10 months old and look intently at my face and then smiled. That sure sealed the deal. So, with some clothes and formula, we hit the road for home.

School started in 2 days, we had no child care, no legal rights to the child; but we had the baby! Again, the fates were on our side. Mossy finally called and I told him I had a baby. I found a grandma lady to babysit, and after the first day of school we met with a lawyer.

There were some more twists and turns, but in 7 weeks, on Alex’s 1st birthday, we had our court date and he became our son! They tell you your court date, and they remarkably choose his actual birthday. People ask how we managed to adopt, but this was an un-repeatable story. I don’t believe in a god, but I do believe in miracles.

2 comments:

Char / Stitchary! said...

I've always believed that it is the parents who raise a child who are truly the child's parents. It looks like that little boy could not have received a more loving home.

amy said...

That is a really an incredible story. He looks so happy, and what beautiful eyes!