Monday, September 1, 2008

Fessing Up to Cheating


I am notorious among those I associate with for cheating and looking ahead to the end of books. I read the beginning to establish the characters and story, then cut to the last chapter or pages. Then I go back and read the rest of the book. Some don’t even know that I cheat on movies, too. I regularly go to moviepooper.com to see the ends of movies.

Actually, this peculiar habit helps me enjoy books and movies more. I find myself speed reading (I am a teacher, after all) while worrying about how the story will end. I have a dvr and have been known to fast forward to the end of a movie in the same way. I will also reread or rewatch a movie after finding out I like the story.

Once I know the end, I can enjoy the ride of the book or movie. Plus, when movies now cost upwards of $10 a person, it is good to know if I might enjoy it. When I see they may be sad or unfulfilling in the end, I save my money and wait for the dvd. I had to see the end of Harry Potter’s books and Twilight books, just to be sure everyone was okay in the end. Of course they were, but it was reassuring to know how they got to the end.

I bet I’m not the only one with this compulsion. It just feels lonely when everyone hassles/teases me for looking ahead!

3 comments:

Green Moss & Sunny said...

OMG
WTF
ROFL
BFF
M

amy said...

That's so funny! I am the exact opposite. If I accidentally pick the book up in a way that allows me to see some of the pages I haven't read yet, I will spaz out and close it very quickly with my eyes shut! I don't feel quite as strongly about movies, but I can't handle knowing what happens in the book before I'm supposed to!

Elizabeth said...

Sorry, Sunny, can't join your "cheatin' reading at the end club"!, I have much the same reaction as Amy who commented earlier! However my daughter has confessed that she is one to do this..she did so with the Twilight series to make sure that Meyer's hadn't a "bad" ending ( in my daughter's eyes!). She's now worried that the movie will be disappointing and has said she may not see it...but I think the draw of seeing the characters on film will get her to it.