Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Abortion

With abortion entering the current political climate, I got to thinking about this hot button topic.

There was a pregnant wife of an airman at the Air Force base near Spokane when I was in college. Pres. Reagan happily enforced a government employee rule banning late term abortions. This young woman, married and happy to be pregnant, found she had a child that had no higher brain at all. It had only the ‘lizard’ brain that controls basic functions. Because of this, the fetus was moving within her uncontrollably all the time. As it was missing much of its brain, it would not survive a day outside the womb. So, because of politics, she wasn’t covered by insurance to end the pregnancy. And I believe she was 6 months along at the time. So, she was condemned to spend months with thrashing within her own body, waiting for her child to die. And yet, the government said it wouldn’t endanger her health, the only excuse possible (I guess mental health didn’t count). As she and her husband were young, they had no money to pay for their own abortion. I never did hear how it all worked out. I do remember hearing that people were organizing to gather money to pay for a late term abortion for her. I hope she survived and went on to bear other healthy children. I can’t even imagine the horror of that situation.

It is so easy to stand on a pedestal of rigid thinking and say that it is ALWAYS this or that. Life is not so easy. Theories are nice and clean. My daughter is not a theory.

After my daughter proved to have disabilities that no one could explain, we faced our own questions. Should we have another child? Would it also have her problems? Would it be fair to her to have less time to maximize her support? Would she have a quality life? Would another child? What if, even with precautions, we got pregnant? We spent years on these questions. Fortunately, we never had to decide what to do with an unplanned pregnancy. But I have to ask, is it anyone else’s decision? Mossy and I should be the ones to make such decisions with our doctor. Why should the government be involved? A politician should better know what we should do? Would anyone else deal with the life long implications of such a child? We have seen first hand how family stays away because they don’t know how to help or don’t want to deal with the burden.

Don’ tell me the rhetoric about baby murder. It’s more complicated than that. All babies aren’t healthy. Danger to mothers is a given. Historically, many women died in childbirth. We tend to forget that. Babies grow up. Someone has to raise them.Just making a baby doesn’t give it a good life. Could you spend 3 months with a mindless, thrashing baby in your body 24/7? I couldn’t and I dare not sit in judgment of another.

After we adopted our second child, a friend hesitated to tell me of her daughter’s recent abortion. She had been in high school, and they struggled mightily as a family when faced with an unplanned pregnancy. My friend thought I would be opposed to abortion, given our adoption. I assured her that what they decided was the best for them. How can I tell them how to deal with such a difficult situation? How could anyone?

3 comments:

Green Moss & Sunny said...

Sunny,
You said that so well. thank you!
Mossy

Elizabeth said...

Yes, it's a volatile subject and I admire you for writing about it here. I am a pro-choice woman because there are so many variables (as you've said) in this not-at-all-cut-and-dried situation. Bringing a human being into this world is frightening in and of itself, even for one who has no major difficulties with life. A child born and then doomed to a life of misery, because it did not develop properly or because it will be abused by intentially bad parents, is not a gift of life at all.

Your daughter is a joy because YOU have taken on her challenges, and with MS this is a battle for you, I know. You gave her the gift of life. Your adopted son is a gift of life too, for being taken into your family.

Goodness, I've talked on!! I've had a couple of days of intense shakiness and using a cane because my body wants to veer to the right. My fingerprins are on every wall of the house, I think :) Ah, such strange symptoms. Wanted to let you know that I enjoy visiting your blog, though I have not had the energy to add on to mine lately.

Mima said...

Sunny, I really enjoyed reading that it was very well written, and I totally understand the debate.

I a pro choice, but always had this dreadful internal battle as I knew if I ever got pregnant I would have real troubles in having an abortion, and would carry a scar with me afterwards. But I have helped a friend though it as it was the right thing for her. I don't think that anyone should stand in judgement of our choices, and can't bear to think of what that poor woman went through.

You are very brave writing this!!