Wednesday, July 30, 2008

All hail the vampires

Shout out for Stephenie Meyer obsession! Aug. 2 marks the release date of the final vampire book in the Twilight series. I devoured all the Anne Rice vampire books. They are long finished and there are no more to be had. I saw a review of the 3rd Twilight book in Entertainment mag. What caught my eye was that it said the 'ethical' vampires lived in Seattle (in my beloved Washington state). A co-teacher said, "Duh, who hasn't heard of those books?" And led me to the school library. I read books 1,2, and 3 in a few days. I was hooked. The reviewer was in error, though. You know how EVERY place in Washington is Seattle? The primary setting of the tale is Forks. This is even better. I've been there. It's more interesting than Seattle.

Don't let the fact that these books are intended for teens. They are well written and engaging. Since they are for kids, pretty darn clean, too. But Meyer can spin a tale like nobody's business. It is all about love, loss, and longing. Who can't relate to that?

Stephenie also published a book for adults this spring called The Host. I don't know if I have ever cried so much reading a book. I have a soft place in my heart for self sacrifice for others in the name of love. And the topic is so interesting. Sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the point of view of the alien. It puts that story on its ear. It also bears similarities to tv/movie's Star Gates in the Goauld's (sp) misappropriations of others' bodies.

Meyer has been compared to J.K. Rowling. Rightly so.

My Amazon-ordered book will arrive soon. Don't call for a few days; I'll be busy.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

amy said...

Sunny, you are officially the first person to get me interested in vampire stories. They've just never been my thing, although I like all the history/drama/romance that typically surrounds them. Enjoy your books! (Oh, and I responded to your comment over on my page about the oil!)

Char / Stitchary! said...

OOoooo, I LOVED Anne Rice and I had not heard of this. Thank you for the info!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Sunny! Well, you've convinced me that I should take a closer look at those Stephanie Meyer books that my 13-year old daughter has been swallowing whole for the past couple of months! In fact, last night (August 1)the Barnes & Noble had a 10 to midnite Vampire Party and then at 12:01 began to distribute Breaking Dawn. DAughter and I were there (I was hyped on caffeine to stay awake) and saw some cool costumes...I'd never been to a first release party and it was darn fun. Oh, and being in an AIR-CONDITIONED building made it easier for me to handle. It's hot-hot here in Tucson and is really wrecking my afternoons...we don't have AC in my home (we use a swamp cooler which works dandy when the humidity is low, but once the monsoon season breaks, they are not too good...we got an estimate earlier in the year for AC, but couldn't afford it. We have one unit in the livingroom, so that helps.)

Hey, I hope Amazon gets that book to ya soon...daughter is closed up in her room devouring hers right now, which is why I have a little xtra time on the computer LOL!

Edward Ott said...

I read the Anne rice books but haven't read these. with out the raves i have been hearing guess i should.