Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Time to buy School Supplies


There is a certain amount of dread coming over me as I think about school starting in 2 weeks. Dropping enrollment, poverty, struggling families. Then I read my cyber friend's blog about her daughter starting her school year (an 8 year old). It reminded me of the joys to come.

I swear that teaching keeps me young (some say, too young). We are doing a big unit this fall on the unique history of Onion Creek. It is an amazing thing to be a part of. We are spiraling through the classes (all 3 in this tiny school). I start with life today, the next older class does OC of the 1970's (we had a hippy invasion, forever changing the valley), and ending with the oldest class studying pioneers in the area. We are at our best when we work together. I truly love what I do.

Let the year begin!

3 comments:

Kristin Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Oh, I think you can never be "too young"! I'm glad you have work that keeps you happy and that influences young minds to think and be aware..thank you for being there, Sunny. If it turns out that at some point in the future you have to retire due to the MS, there is always room for a school volunteer at reduced hours to keep with the good/bad rollercoaster days. I'm sure you've thought of this.

Now,those unit studies sound intriging (bad speller). If you were doing the 80s, I could stop by and bring a disco ball Ha-Ha!

Let the Learning Begin!

carolr said...

Me too- I teach 2nd grade and I do love it; I am a lucky teacher. But I do hate getting out of bed on cold winter mornings!