Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Feel Old, but it's Good News!


Strangely, former students have come out of the woodwork recently bringing us their children to teach. Maybe it is because of the horrifying economy. I know at least one of the alumni has been laid off and had to move home. Our enrollment has been dropping, as it has many places, as the boomers’ children grow up and birth rate declines. So much panic and worry around me about what will happen to our tiny school. I think I worry less about it because I think my time for work is always on the verge of ending because of my lovely MS.

Anyway, it does make me feel old to see former students with children of their own. In our rural area, most every child grows up and moves away for school or work. But it is also nice to see them return, happy to reconnect with our school community. Maybe they will save us in the end!

No comments: